The perfect shoe completes your fashion look, but how do you invest in a classic pair that you’ll love forever? Suzanne Timmins, senior vice-president, fashion director at Hudson’s Bay Company, shares her expert shopping advice for buying designer shoes.
1. Don’t focus on trends. “Avoid the ‘It’ shoe of the season!” advises Timmins when it comes to designer shoes . Say what? “You can be assured it’s only ‘It’ for that season! Although you may think it will bring you joy, it will only last a couple of months and by next season you’ll be kicking yourself! A good, classic shoe will transcend time and fleeting trends.”
2. Invest in a classic shade. “Choose a colour that is multi-seasonal—black, navy or nude,” says Timmins. “They’re staple colours for every woman’s wardrobe.” Her tip? “Think of them as you would your perfect LBD, your go-to suit for ‘the big’ meeting, or your favourite denim for weekend fun! ”
3. Find a shoe that reflects your lifestyle and personality. If you’re always on the go, consider a pointy toe or ballerina flat, whereas a mid-to-high-heel pump is perfect for the office professional. Of course, Timmins says, “If you live for fashion, ‘classic’ might take on a slightly wider meaning. Look for fresh updates such as variances in heel and toe shape.”
4. Have fun with your investment. “It’s all in the details,” Timmins says. “Look for classic shapes with updates like playful skins such as metallics and coloured snakeskin, or have fun with prints, patterns, and embellishments. Clean classic shapes with updated details will ensure that your investment shoe looks fresh and fun without being over the top and out of style the following season.”
5. “Comfort is everything!” Preach. “A good investment is a pair of shoes that you can wear from day to night,” Timmins explains. “My advice: always make sure to take a good walk around the store before making a purchase. Any discomfort? Don’t kid yourself—take a pass! Trust me there is always another pair of shiny shoes waiting for you on the other side of the rainbow.
Best Spring 2014 shoes
Designer shoes: 10 colour-blocked styles to try now
The best Spring 2014 sandals
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.