Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
5 things to know about the two Canadian designer finalists for the ANDAM fashion prize
Steven Tai top, $925, at Holt Renfrew.
Warm congrats to Steven Tai and Rad Hourani, two Canadian designers who are among the seven finalists for the prestigious ANDAM fashion prize. (Past winners include Viktor & Rolf and Gareth Pugh. And this year’s big winner will take home 250,000 euros and the guarantee that Hudson’s Bay will buy his or her Spring 2015 collection. So yeah, MAJOR.)
The other contenders are Études Studio, Jean-Paul Lespagnard, Iris Van Herpen, Yiqing Yin and buzzy Milan brand Fausto Puglisi. The winner will be announced on July 3.
In the meantime, here are five things you need to know about our super talented Canadian finalists:
1. Rad Hourani is from Montreal, and earned a stellar rep as a stylist, photographer and video director before moving to Paris and starting his own fashion label in 2007. #multitalented
2. In 2013, Hourani became the first invited member by La Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture in Paris to design and show a unisex haute couture collection ever. As in, it had never happened before. #oohlala #impressive
3. I once danced around Hourani at the Beatrice Inn (RIP), and he was very gracious and very fun. #partytime
Click through to read about Steven Tai…
4. Steven Tai graduated with a commerce degree from the University of British Columbia, before earning his Bachelor of Arts at Central Saint Martins in London. #destiny
5. Tai worked for Hussein Chalayan, Viktor & Rolf and Stella McCartney, and then won the Chloé Award in April 2012, before he’d even presented his first collection. (He did that in February 2013.) #prodigy
6. I once had coffee with Tai at the Holts Café in Toronto, and was so impressed by his knowledge of fashion history, his passion for his clothes, and his humble and collaborative spirit (he always mentioned how lucky he was to have such an amazing team). Then, later that night, after he presented his Spring 2014 collection at The ShOws, a small group of media had a lovely dinner with him and his mother to celebrate. #charming