Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
Top 10 models of 2013
1. Joan Smalls Joan’s held her spot as the #1 model in the world according to
Models.com for several weeks, and we can’t seem to figure out why. First, she doesn’t look good without makeup on, and second, someone named Beyoncé
just filmed an incredibly boring and ugly music video with her. She’s worth something absurd like, $3.5 million. Then there’s the
ELLE U.S cover which sent me on a mirror-breaking spree.
Click through for more of the top models of 2013…
2. Liu Wen Liu is almost disarmingly friendly. After disturbing her backstage at 3.1 Philip Lim during NYFW Spring 2014 last fall, she apologized to me for her poor English. Meanwhile, she came close to having her eye poked out several times with mascara wands because she maintained a polite level of eye contact throughout our interview. She walks for every important show on the planet (Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Tom Ford, Derek Lam, ect…) and has paved the way for other Chinese models such as Xiao Wen Ju and Tian Yi. She’s also buddies with Joan.
3. Cara Delevingne OK, so there was the alleged coke incident. But then she posed for lots of funny Instagrams with Sam McKnight and we started to forget about this wild child’s nighttime activities. There’s something about Cara (and her brows). She was noticeably absent for NYFW Spring 2014 (which increased the hype even further) and managed to slide into home plate for Marc Jacobs, before showing up less than 10 times in Europe. Nice life, CD.
4. Karlie Kloss You know when throngs of 14-year-old girls are screaming your name outside of a fashion show that you might just be a household name. Karlie’s girl-next-door charm, remarkably arched brows and upturned smile drive make her equally at home in a Vogue editorial or a Victoria’s Secret fashion show.
5. Kate Upton SHE GOT THE COVER OF VOGUE. EVERYTHING ELSE THAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR IS AUTOMATICALLY EXTINGUISHED. THE TRIBE HAS SPOKEN. (SHOUTY CAPS NECESSARY).
6. Kate Moss The
cover of Playboy, on the cusp of 40, numerous beauty and fashion campaigns (from St. Tropez to Rag & Bone to Kerastase)—while Kate isn’t opening every key Milanese fashion show, she’s still a fixture on the scene, booking covers like it’s nobody’s business and editorials that will blow your mind every.single.time. She’s ranked #2 under ‘The Money Girls’ category on Models.com, just a smidgen behind queen Gisele.
7. Doutzen Kroes This year was gangbusters for Doutzen: the fitness fanatic shot several gorgeous editorials with Vogue and the like, continued her stunning work with L’Oreal, Victoria’s Secret, H&M and Tiffany & Co., and shared her adorable life of her husband DJ Sunnery James and their squishy son to her one million plus
Instagram followers. Warm smile aside, she’s most affable for her frank comments about body image in the industry. Earlier this year she told
The Telegraph "
I’m not a sample size at all. At some shows I know they have been using very young girls who have not gone into the change of the body yet – no hips, no boobs. I’m 28 and I’ve had a baby."
8. Sasha Luss
She doubled up on bleach and as a result, is
striking and icier than ever. It’s a second start for Sasha; she started modelling in her teens but has caught a second wind at the antiquated age of 21. She walked in 53 Spring 2014 shows, opening Ralph Lauren, Gareth Pugh and Vanessa Bruno and closing Reed Krakoff,
Missoni, Roberto Cavalli, Cédric Charlier and Dries Van Noten. Luss has a tremendous amount of potential in the industry and will likely become one of the most photographed faces backstage.
9. Anais Pouliot
Anais Pouliot stands out in a crowd. Pillowy lips, kind eyes (right?) and a general adorable unkemptness to her. Her lips were made for lipstick, which makes this French Canadian a star in my eyes. We’ve seen her strut for Carven, Jean Paul Gauliter, Alexis Mabille, DSquared2, Louis Vuitton and everyone in between.
10. Grace Mahary
Another homegrown hero!
Canadian Grace Mahary, who has also graced (sorry)
ELLE Canada‘s cover, has had a sensational year. The Edmonton native walked in every show from Chanel to Prada and Céline—a jaw-dropping 48 shows for Spring 2014.
HONOURABLE MENTIONS: Meg Collison, Vanessa Axente, Gisele Bündchen, Soo Joo Park, Charlotte Hoyer, Elisabeth Erm, Coral Emmanuel, Manon Leloup, Jasmine Tookes, Jie Hye, Juliana Schurig, Katlin Aas and Malaika Firth.
Meet the top Canadian models of 2013
And oral history of the wild ’90s supermodel era
The 20 most beautiful Hollywood celebs