How to train like an athlete: Andrew Yorke, Triathlete
In our exclusive Pan American athlete series, Triathlete Andrew Yorke talks to ELLE Canada about his love for caffeine, unwinding in the great outdoors and his spicy shower secret.
1. What’s your fitness moto?
You can always quit!
2. How to motivate yourself when you’re feeling sluggish?
I use some positive self talk and try to put forward my best effort for the day.
3. Workout song that revs you up:
Hot Water Music – Drag My Body
4. Song that helps you chill:
Bon Iver – Holocene
5. Technique you use for relaxing:
I try to read a book or grab a nap.
6. Best training advice you’ve ever been given:
Consistency, consistency, consistency!
7. What you eat first thing in the morning:
Generally I’ll have oatmeal with some nuts and fruit. For sure coffee!
8. What you eat before a workout:
Some toast with a bit of peanut butter.
9. What you eat after a workout:
A protein shake with some fruit and some kind of carbs.
10. What you wash your face or body with post-workout?
Old spice body wash.
11. How many glasses of water do you drink a day?
Between 3-5L depending on how much training we are doing.
12. How do you style your hair during a workout?
If my hair is longer I part it to the side. When it’s short I generally wear a hat. I wear a helmet when biking so it is generally pretty flat!
13. Favourite thing to do on during your downtime?
I like to go fishing and camping. In season it’s cheering on the Blue Jays and hanging with family and friends.
14. Biggest food indulgence?
Definitely beer! Can’t have that in season though so I have to wait until the fall.
Andrew Yorke is part of the CIBC Team Next, a program created by CIBC, lead partner at the Pan Am/Parapan Am Games.