As versatile and stylish as the little black dress, the jumpsuit is gaining serious traction as this summer’s go-to fashion look. True story—just look at Kristen Stewart’s sequined Chanel jumpsuit and Jennifer Lawrence’s sleek black Dior equivalent on the red carpet at Cannes this year. Terri Dacquisto, a Toronto-based fashion stylist with Plutino Group, shares 5 fashion tips to consider when trying the look.
1. Choose flattering fabrics and cuts. “Steer away from cheap, clingy fabrics,” says Dacquisto. “You want a fabric that skims the body and doesn’t cling to all the wrong places.” As for undergarments, opt for seamless bottoms and nude or dark tones, depending on the style. “Be aware of the cut and make sure that the silhouette accentuates your curves.”
2. You can wear it anywhere. “Layer your jumpsuit with a silk cami and a fitted blazer for the office, then transition to night by removing the cami and throwing your blazer over your shoulders with a great strappy heel,” says Dacquisto. “You can even kick it up a notch with a statement necklace and your favourite clutch.”
3. Find your best fit. “Ensure that the jumpsuit fits the length of your torso as well as the width—don’t be afraid to go up a size if you need the length,” she explains. Look for a jumpsuit with a cinched waist that falls on or just above your waistline to create that covetable hourglass silhouette.
4. Keep it sophisticated. When it comes to the short jumpsuit, “Choose heels for a sexier, mature look and avoid wearing flats or sneakers,” she says. “Also, avoid bright colours and loud prints. Instead opt for solid colours and more elegant fabrics such as silk.”
5. End your look on the right foot. “Depending on the occasion and style, either a pump, wedge or stiletto looks fantastic,” says Dacquisto, adding that you should steer clear of heavy or masculine shoes. “Unless you’re tall and leggy, make sure to avoid flats with a full-length pant especially if it is a looser fit.”
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.