Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
The ELLE Canada team shares mom’s best fashion and beauty advice this Mother’s Day
Mother-daughter fabulousness of Carine Roitfeld and Julia Restoin-Roitfeld sitting front row at Alexander Wang’s Spring/Summer 2012 runway show. Image courtesy of ImaxTree.com.
Whether it’s applying clear nail polish to mend a pantyhose run or how to end a relationship gracefully, a mother’s advice is as sharp and on-point as she is. You heard from
Canadian designers about how their mothers influenced them; now some of the most memorable words of wisdom – and trade secrets – from the strong women who inspired the
ELLE Canada team. “My mother didn’t have the remotest interest in fashion or beauty. For her, a woman was both beautiful and fashionable if she had something witty to say; could engage in a thoughtful debate or tell a great tale. Solid – and inspired – advice on both counts, I’d say.”
– Noreen Flanagan, Editor-in-chief. "Sleep without a pillow under your head to reduce double-chin and always keep a somewhat tight thread tied around your waist to keep it from getting bigger (it will remind you when you are getting beyond limits!). P.S. I love my mom!”
– Beatriz Juarez, Art director “My mum didn’t give me a lot of beauty advice, but she always told me to push back my cuticles with a towel after I get out of the shower. It’s now part of my routine!”
– Ciara Rickard, Production editor "Always wash your face before you go to bed."
– Christina Reynolds, Managing editor “My mom has great skin, so when it comes to beauty I took her advice. She always told me to wash off my makeup before bed and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! I’m pretty lucky I inherited some of her best qualities, flawless complexion included! On the fashion front, she always said that I never listened!”
– Noah Lehava, Web editor "The best beauty advice my mom ever gave me was to embrace my natural curls. I spent too many years brushing them out, pulling back my hair and giving myself terrible blowouts as she rolled her eyes. I didn’t want to have my mom’s mess of black curls. It seemed so uncool. Now that I let my hair do as it pleases, I feel much more myself and am actually glad to look like my mother’s daughter."
– Kathryn Hudson, Features editor "My mom taught us to shop for quality over quantity, and to take care of the pieces we bought so they would last. She gets a ton of wear out of her clothes season after season and she always looks amazing!"
– Corissa Bagan, Production designer "When I moved to Halifax to attend university, my mom gave me three pieces of important life advice. I don’t remember the first two, but the third was ‘Always wear comfortable shoes.’ I don’t follow that as often as I should, but every time I’m limping about in heels, I remember that and it makes me want to give her a hug." –
Laura deCarufel, Executive editor "My mom always took great care of her nails. She never wore polish and always had them in the same shape, but she took the time to groom them and make sure they looked feminine, healthy and in flawless condition. I don’t remember her telling me to take care of my nails, but just seeing her spend time on them has been passed down to me and my obsession with perfect nails."
– Jennifer Weatherhead, Senior web editor