30 Seconds to Mars and Alice Cooper received top honours at the Kerrang! Awards 2011 last night (09.06.11).
Jared Leto’s rockers took home two awards – Best International Band and Best Single for their track ‘Hurricane’ – while Alice scooped the Kerrang! Icon trophy at the British heavy metal magazine’s 30th anniversary award show in London.
Speaking at the ceremony, Alice told BANG Showbiz: “It seems to be awards year for me – I seem to keep getting them! I hope that doesn’t mean it’s the end – maybe they know something I don’t know – maybe they’ve got my biopsy or something!”
Collecting the Best International Band award for the second year running, Jared thanked all the 30 Seconds to Mars fans for their support.
Referring to the raucous nature of the event, he joked: “We’re starting an Alcoholics Anonymous table over here if anyone wants to come over!
“But seriously, this is a chance for us to say thank you to our amazing family of fans all around the world.
“It’s good that we can bookmark such a crazy journey with an event like this.”
The event – sponsored by energy drinks brand Relentless – was hosted by Slipknot singer Corey Taylor and Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian. It also saw Ozzy Osbourne crowned Kerrang! Legend, Biffy Clyro take the Kerrang! Classic Songwriter award and legendary 80s rockers Def Leppard given the Kerrang! Inspiration award, ahead of their headline set at Download Festival tonight (10.06.11).
Collecting the award, Def Leppard singer Joe Elliott said: “Thank you for inviting us and proving that there is more than just two s**t football teams from Sheffield.
“We’ve been around longer than the magazine has so that makes us the oldest f**kers in the room. Thanks to anybody that’s been behind this band from day one.
“Other than that we’ve got nothing else to say – you said we’ve had pearls of wisdom… Have you heard our lyrics?”
Kerrang! Awards 2011 presented by Relentless energy drink, full list of winners:
1. Best British Newcomer: Asking Alexandria
2. Best International Newcomer: Black Veil Brides
3. Best Single: 30 Seconds to Mars ‘Hurricane’
4. Best Video: My Chemical Romance ‘Na Na Na’
5. Best Live: All Time Low
6. Best Album: Bring Me the Horizon ‘There Is A Hell, Believe Me I’ve Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let’s Keep It A Secret’
7. Best British Band: You Me at Six
8. Best International Band: 30 Seconds to Mars
9. The Devotion Award: Skindred
10. The Kerrang! Legend: Ozzy Osbourne
11. The Kerrang! Icon: Alice Cooper
12. The Kerrang! Classic songwriter: Biffy Clyro
13. The Kerrang! Inspiration award: Def Leppard
14. The Kerrang! Hall of fame award: Korn
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.