What would 2013 have been without
Kanye West and his thoughts on fashion, God, Kim Kardashian and well, everything else? We round up some of his gems and try and decipher the hidden meaning. Here’s to a 2014 filled with more Kanye-isms.
1. “I brought 10 years of product that has added to humanity. And now, where’s the culture at?! So then, I scream, and I’m sitting in the middle of it. Whether I’m at a dinner with Anna Wintour, or I’m at a listening session with Pusha, or me and Virgil are in Rome giving designs to
Fendi over and over and getting our designs knocked down. We brought the leather jogging pants six years ago to Fendi, and they said, ‘No.’ How many m************ you done seen with a jogging pant?”
– As told to BBC’s Zane Lowe
* Actually, I don’t see that many leather jogging pants around, to be honest. Maybe I’m not up on my jogging pant culture though. Must investigate more in 2014.
2. “He was once a friend of mine, in the time of
Christian Dior, and I used to wear his tight-a** jeans when I was on tour and get called names for it. And Hedi Slimane was a god who didn’t serve no bulls***. But it takes a god to recognize another god. So when he told me you can come to my show, but you can’t come to see Phoebe and you can’t come to see Riccardo, that was odd. He tried to control me! He tried to tell me where I could go!”
– Kanye’s mid-concert speech Madison Square Garden
3. “The [biggest corporation’s] amount of money can only equal the amount of relevancy that me and Kim have,” he said. “I might not be a billionaire, but I’m a trillionaire in relevancy.”
– An interview with Atlanta Radio Station V-103
* Kanye does have loads of relevancy. His voice is incredibly loud in the celebrity arena (and if you didn’t hear him the first time, he’ll likely yell at you).
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.