2018 was the year of making beauty statements that eschewed trends in favour of individualism. Case in point: Meghan Markle stuck to her signature pared-down makeup look for her wedding (who knew visible freckles would be so divisive) and Kylie Jenner went bleach blonde and wore thigh-grazing extensions pulled back into a ponytail for her 21st birthday party.
Below, we look back on these stories and more, in our countdown of the most-read beauty articles published on ELLECanada.com this year. (If you’re curious, here are the top stories from 2017.)
10. Dyson Just Launched A Game-Changing Styling Tool
We went to Dyson’s HQ in the U.K. to get an exclusive look into the making of the Dyson Airwrap, a game-changing styling tool that takes hair from damp to straight, wavy or curly without subjecting it to high levels of heat. Read it here.
9. First Look at Camila Cabello’s Havana Makeup Collection
Pop sensation Camila Cabello launched L’Oréal Paris’ first-ever celebrity-designed makeup collection, and we got the exclusive scoop. Read it here.
8. How to grow your hair out
Can you speed up hair growth? The short answer: It’s possible, but there are no quick solutions. Read it here.
7. The best hair and makeup looks at the 2018 Met Gala
6. Tessa Virtue on skincare, Scott and that Moulin Rouge performance
Canadian ice dancer Tessa Virtue and her skating partner Scott Moir were the talk of the town after their gold medal-winning performance at the 2018 Winter Olympics. We talked to Virtue about everything from skincare to her relationship with Scott. Read it here.
5. The 13 Best Beauty Products In The World According to ELLE Editors
Every ELLE editor in the world voted on their favourite new hair, makeup and skincare items—these were the winners. Read it here.
4. Dakota Johnson Made Her Phone Number Public
At a press event for Gucci Bloom, Dakota Johnson, who is a face of the fragrance, told us what motivated her to share her personal cellphone number with the public. Read it here.
3. Meghan Markle Weds In Her Signature Beauty Look
A breakdown of the products makeup artist Daniel Martin used to create Meghan Markle’s wedding day look. Read it here.
2. Anne Hathaway Confronts Body Shamers Before Any Actual Shaming
Anne Hathaway’s new way of dealing with “haters” is to stop them before they even get a chance to start. Read it here.
1. Kylie Jenner Goes Blonde For Her 21st Birthday
Proof that everything Kylie Jenner does breaks the Internet. Read it here.