If there’s one thing pretty much everyone’s hair could use right around now, it’s hydration. Icy winds and indoor heating mean providing your hair with adequate moisture is especially important during the cold season.
That’s why Chatters is always focused on hair hydration. No matter your hair type, the salon’s beauty consultants have product recommendations—everything from targeted shampoos and conditioners to masks, oils and leave-ins—for keeping your strands perfectly nourished and hydrated.
The first step is determining your hair type. Here are the basics on how to do that, as well as tailored advice on proper hydration for each type.
Straight hair has no curl and is generally very smooth. It still needs hydration, but you’ll want to add it using products that are lightweight. The goal is to avoid flattening your locks—especially if your hair is on the finer side.
• Virtue Full Shampoo for clean, voluminous, shiny hair that doesn’t feel weighed down. ($52)
• Moroccanoil Weightless Hydrating Mask for a conditioning treatment that provides intense nourishment in just a few minutes. ($46)
The telling characteristic of wavy hair is that each strand has an S-shaped pattern, but its thickness can vary. Look for products that have a heavier texture and contain oils; the wavier and thicker your hair, the more moisture it’s likely to need.
• Verb Hydrating Mask for soft and beautifully nourished waves that are easier to manage. ($20)
• Redken Frizz Dismiss Mask for frizz-free, lustrous locks that look and feel smooth. ($32.49)
Curly or coily hair
The tighter your curls, the harder it is for the natural oils in your scalp to travel down the hair shaft and provide moisture, which is why it’s so important to add hydration. Reach for sulfate-free leave-in products that also help strengthen and detangle.
• Goldwell Kerasilk Control Intensive Smoothing Mask for less frizz and tons of shine. ($56)
• AG Hair Repair Serum for a silky, moisturized mane thanks to ingredients like vitamin C, squalane and hydrolyzed vegetable protein. ($25)
All products available at Chatters. Get more recommendations by taking the Chatters Moisture Match quiz.
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.