Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
Grooming tips: 5 things every man forgets when shaving
“Getting a professional shave is pampering yourself in a really manly way,” says Jeff Raider, co-founder of Harry’s (harrys.com), a men’s grooming brand and slick barbershop of the same name in New York City.
Here, five things that Raider says every man forgets when shaving:
1. “The best shaving surface is a really flat one. Pull your skin taut in different areas of your face to create the flattest surface.”
2. “Facial hair can be as thick as copper wire; use a shaving cream to soften it. Let it sit for at least a minute before you start shaving.”
3. “Check yourself out in the mirror. Figure out which way the hair on your face grows and trace it everywhere with the razor. Make sure you shave with the grain; this will eliminate friction and razor burn.”
4. “Ask your barber for direction. A lot of guys learned to shave from their fathers, but maybe he wasn’t shaving properly if he learned it from his dad. Your hair might not grow in the way your dad’s does.”
5. “Skip alcohol-based aftershave, which can dry out your face. Look for moisturizing shave creams and aftershave balms instead.”