Retro waves and bright makeup make a splash for spring at Andy Thê-Anh.
“It’s about natural control,” says Montreal designer Andy Thê-Anh. “Simple — in the Andy Thê-Anh way — with natural light, so the girls look beautiful. I want something girls can relate to.”
• Blend a bright, blue matte shadow across the entire eyelid, controlling the shade’s intensity by blending with a white matte shadow “It controls the shade,” says L’Oréal Paris Official Makeup Artist Eddie Maleterre. Finish with a strip of false lashes loaded with black mascara.
• Maleterre wanted to boost the shade of pink lipstick. Using your finger, dab a liquid concealer all over lips first. Once dry, smooth on a candy-pink lipstick. -Using a fine comb, create a deep side part by pulling two-thirds of your hair to one side, ensuring the part is clean and straight. Using five to ten bobby pins (depending on hair’s thickness), secure them in a horizontal pattern on the opposite side (the side with less hair). The opposite side should be left loose and unpinned.
• Create ‘Rita-Hayworth-like waves’ by creating curls that start below the ears. While holding a curling iron horizontally, clamp section by section (starting at the top and moving downwards). Once clamped, roll the iron upward (toward top of head) and then downward, holding for five seconds each time. Thê-Anh wanted a “natural shine“, so finish with shine-boosting hairspray.
Lips: L’Oréal Colour Riche Lipstick in 640
Eyes: L’Oréal HiP Duo Matte in “Animated”
Hair: L’Oréal Elnett Hairspray
Smooth hair at David Dixon on the next page …
With a collection inspired by recent world travels, updos and rich red lips give a nod to fresh glamour at David Dixon.
• Apply a soft brow powder to define your arches.
• Contour cheekbones with a coral blush, then blend by highlighting the browbone and top of cheek with a shimmery champagne shadow. “This gives the face a lift,” says L’Oréal Paris Official Makeup Artist Eddie Maleterre.
• Trace a cherry red lipliner all over lips and follow with a creamy lipstick in the same shade.
• Brush hair along crown and gather into a high ponytail. Secure with an elastic, taking a small piece from the bottom and wrap around to conceal the band, tucking underneath. Create a thick braid, securing the end with a clear elastic. Smooth a matte-finish hair paste over the crown for control. "It shouldn’t look wet," says L’Oreal Paris Official Hair Artist and Colourist Eric Del Monaco. The daytime version required gathering hair in a messy, low ponytail. Once there, create a thick braid and secure with elastic. Allow pieces around face to fall out, as "this looks amazing on layered hair," says Del Monaco. Using a flexible, texturizing product like a tacky paste to rough up the braid by brushing it in an upward direction with fingers.
Eyes: L’Oréal Wear Infinite Eyeshadow Quad 803 in Earthscape
Cheeks: L’Oréal True Match Blush in N1-2
Lips: L’Oréal Colour Riche Lipstick in Penelope
Hair: Remix Studio Line Special FX Remix Modeling Fiber Paste
Nude was hot at Joe Fresh Style — get the look on the next page …
Keeping with the brand’s pastel palette and see-through pieces, Joe Fresh Style stylist Adrienne Shoom said she wanted the hair to look beachy, sexy and free of product.
• Bid those brows farewell. Layer loose powder over liquid concealer to lighten to the point of “almost no eyebrows,” says Official makeup artist to L’Oreal Eddie Maleterre.
• Blend nude shadows along eyelids, concentrating a chocolate shade closest to lashes, followed by brown mascara.
• Using a large fluffy brush, highlight skin with a pearlized powder, blending lightly along nose, top of cheekbones and chin.
• Seek out a lipstick close to your natural colour and dab on a neutral loose powder with fingers to avoid “a lipstick effect,” says Maleterre.
• Prep hair with mousse and set in a middle part. After a clean blow out, concentrate the heat from the dryer along the ends, holding it for a few extra seconds, which prevents frizz, says L’Oreal Paris Official Hair Artist and Colourist Eric Del Monaco. Shelve the flat iron — this look reflects Joe’s easygoing sentiment about style.
Brows: L’Oréal True Match Concealer
Lips: L’Oréal Colour Riche Lipstick in 854
Skin: L’Oréal Wear Infinite Eyeshadow Singles in “Morning Light”
Hair: L’Oréal Indestructible Mousse
To exaggerate the ‘pretty but edgy’ makeup, the direction for hair at Pink Tartan was based on the notion of a ‘split personality.’
• It’s all about coral,” says L’Oréal Paris Official Makeup Artist Eddie Maleterre. Fill in lips with an orange-based liner, then apply a coral lipstick on top — Maleterre mixed a discontinued shade from last summer with a rich red.
• Apply a rich brown shadow to lids, concentrating the pigment near the outer and inner corners of the eye. Follow up with a black mascara.
• Finish skin with a loose powder, skipping blush entirely.
• Run a strong-hold gel through strands and pull hair into a tight, low bun leaving panels skimming of hair alongside the face. Flat iron some sections by pulling them straight up in the hair, and a few pieces out to either side, allowing for a little electricity. “We wanted a bit of static, so it would fly down the runway,” says L’Oreal Paris Official Hair Artist and Colourist Eric Del Monaco.
Eyes: L’Oréal Wear Infinite Eyeshadow in “Antique Brown”
Lips: L’Oréal Colour Riche Lipstick in British Red
Hair: L’Oréal Studio Line Indestructible Gel
In keeping with the upscale, cottage casual collection at Bustle, hair was laid-back and makeup was given the “bronze sun goddess” treatment — perfect for lounging on a celebrity’s dock in Muskoka.
• Blend a deep bronze shadow towards the brow bone. Apply a deeper mocha shade in the outside corner and eyelid crease.
• Layer a black liner on the top lash line and follow with a lengthening black mascara.
• Top lips with a shiny, apricot-coloured lipgloss.
• To keep the look "rough but sophisticated," says L’Oreal Paris Official Hair Artist and Colourist Eric Del Monaco, pull hair into a ponytail at the crown of the head. Finish with a light-hold hairspray. Or, create loose curls by wrapping strands around a large barrel curling iron, then run fingers through to “fluff” it out. Set with hairspray.
Eyes: L’Oréal Wear Infinite Eyeshadow Single in Anitque Brown and Gilded Bronze
Lips: L’Oréal Colour Riche Lipgloss in 400 Soft Coral
Hair: L’Oréal Elnett Hairspray
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.