Life and Love
How to fall in love with anyone (in 36 questions)
The 36 questions that will transform any romantic relationship.
by : Sarah Laing- Jul 24th, 2015
Bad news for all believers in The One: There’s a psychologist who believes literally anyone can be the right one for anyone, and all it takes to make the magic of love blossom is a conversation (and 36 questions).
Twenty years ago, Arthur Aron, a researcher at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, released the results of experiment in the “generation of interpersonal closeness”, which basically translates to forming a deep bond with someone else.
He had pairs of strangers answer a series of increasingly personal/way beyond surface level questions, laid out in three stages. it was essentially an exercise in forcing people to open up in order to see if it built intimacy…and the research shows that works. (One pair in the experiment were married 6 months later!)
It’s a study that’s recently gotten a lot of attention thanks to a NYT Modern Love article where the author tries it with an acquaintance and the two fall head over heels. It’s fascianting because it opens the door for the idea that you can theoretically get super close, super fast to anyone just by answering 36 questions.
Care to give them a try with that cutie sitting across from you on the subway? Answer the following questions, and don’t forget to send us an invite to your guys’ wedding!
1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?
3. Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?
4. What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?
6. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year-old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?
7. Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die?
8. Name three things you and your partner appear to have in common.
9. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
10. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?
11. Take four minutes and tell your partner your life story in as much detail as possible.
12. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
13. If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future or anything else, what would you want to know?
14. Is there something that you’ve dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven’t you done it?
15. What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
16. What do you value most in a friendship?
17. What is your most treasured memory?
18. What is your most terrible memory?
19. If you knew that in one year you would die suddenly, would you change anything about the way you are now living? Why?
20. What does friendship mean to you?
21. What roles do love and affection play in your life?
22. Alternate sharing something you consider a positive characteristic of your partner. Share a total of five items.
23. How close and warm is your family? Do you feel your childhood was happier than most other people’s?
24. How do you feel about your relationship with your mother?
25. Make three true “we” statements each. For instance, “We are both in this room feeling … “
26. Complete this sentence: “I wish I had someone with whom I could share … “
27. If you were going to become a close friend with your partner, please share what would be important for him or her to know.
28. Tell your partner what you like about them; be very honest this time, saying things that you might not say to someone you’ve just met.
29. Share with your partner an embarrassing moment in your life.
30. When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?
31. Tell your partner something that you like about them already.
32. What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about?
33. If you were to die this evening with no opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you most regret not having told someone? Why haven’t you told them yet?
34. Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire. After saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any one item. What would it be? Why?
35. Of all the people in your family, whose death would you find most disturbing? Why?
36. Share a personal problem and ask your partner’s advice on how he or she might handle it. Also, ask your partner to reflect back to you how you seem to be feeling about the problem you have chosen.
Join our mailing list for the latest and biggest in fashion trends, beauty, culture and celebrity.
Life and Love
Your November 2021 Horoscope
Find out what the stars have in store for you this Scorpio season.
by : Alex Vallières- Oct 22nd, 2021
Life and Love
Your Moon Sign Is the Last Piece of the Astrology Puzzle, So Here's What It Means
What does it all mean, moon?
by : ELLE- Oct 21st, 2021
Life and Love
Your October 2021 Horoscope
Find out what the stars have in store for you for October.
by : Alex Vallières- Sep 29th, 2021