Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
Fashion verdict: NYFW Fall 2015 Day 1
Left to right: Creatures of the Wind, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Jonathan Simkhai, Kaelen, Kanye West x Adidas Originals. Runway: Imaxtree.com. Kim Kardashian: Instagram.com/kimkarashian.
Here at the ELLE Canada HQ, all eyes are glued on New York Fashion Week Fall 2015. We ranked the five most memorable looks seen at Day 1 from “wow” to “what were they thinking?”
Noreen Flanagan, editor-in-chief:
1. BCBGMAXAZRIA: I love the blend of laidback ’70s boho paired with a ’60s pop-chic vibe. It’s the fashion lovechild of Joni Mitchell and Twiggy.
2. Kaelen: With a muse like Audrey Horne from Twin Peaks, this look captures a lady-lady vibe but also telegraphs a sexy dark side.
3. Creatures of the Wind: This is a fresh twist on uniform dressing. In this case, it’s a ’20s-inspired nurse’s cape tarted up with a posh mink sash for a quirky four-star fashion moment.
4. Jonathan Simkhai: Hmm. There were some covetable pieces in his collection. This wasn’t one of them. I’m not a fan of saggy cobweb-like leggings paired with action-figure inspired cutouts.
5. Kanye West x Adidas Originals: The show highlight was its Yeezy boots, but as for the rest of the collection? I’d say you could swap the Y for a Ch.
Lisa Guimond, fashion features editor:
1. Kanye West x Adidas Originals: A for Attitude goes to Kanye. Say what you want, but this collection reads as an artistic dreamscape – it’s gallery fodder. Plus, I’ve been advocating tights as pants for years. Kanye, call me.
2. BCBGMAXAZRIA: Thigh high boots. Check. Colour blocking. Check. Shearling. Check. What more could a girl want this Fall?
3. Jonathan Simkhai: Hats off to Simkhai for this architectural look. The sharp lines and curves create a beautiful asymmetrical symmetry.
4. Kaelen: There’s something a little matronly about the heavy fabrics and embroidery that I can’t stand behind.
5. Creatures of the Wind: This is military gone wrong. Enough said.
Sarah Thompson, content producer:
1. Jonathan Simkhai: Did someone say sexy? This black lace creation is everything I need in my wardrobe, especially on date night.
2. Kaelen: Florals for Fall 2015? Totally revolutionary. I love the blue/gold colour combo and textured topper.
3. BCBGMAXAZRIA: Colour blocking, cozy fur, intricate beading and leather boots all in one ready-to-wear look? I’ll take two, please.
4. Creatures of the Wind: I’m in love with this minimalist camel coat, but the star-studded sash is a little too OTT for Fall 2015.
5. Kanye West x Adidas Originals: Leggings/tights/leotards are not pants – need I say more?