Left to right: Stella Jean, Alberta Ferretti, Fausto Puglisi, Philipp Plein, Gucci
Milan Fashion Week is in full swing, and we can’t get enough of what the Italian designers are offering for Fall 2015. Here, two ELLE Canada editors rank the standout looks of Day 1 from best to worst – but will they agree?
Ava Baccari, assistant fashion editor:
1. Stella Jean: The kind of cozy-meets-chic that I plan to live in all winter. The rich detailing of the midi skirt speaks for itself as a statement-making essential.
2. Alberta Ferretti: There’s something so perfectly on cue with the simplicity of this look: The starkness of the black and white, with the suede over-the-knee boots skimming the delicate folds of this chiffon cocktail dress, instantly stands out.
3. Fausto Puglisi: My eye roams all over this look, but is always drawn by to that heavily embellished obi belt. Of all the statements being made, I’m pretty sure that’s the loudest.
4. Philipp Plein: THIS is the embodiment of luxe sportswear: The leather leggings make it cool, and the fur cape, well, simply irresistible.
5. Gucci: Forget LBD: This is the perfect date night/holiday/I’ll-love-you-forever cocktail dress of the season.
Noreen Flanagan, editor-in-chief:
1. Stella Jean: It’s my #1 pick because I’m a little obsessed with sneaks at the moment. (Plus, her signature wild pattern play and western global duality never tires.)
2. Alberta Ferretti: Love the modern spin on Italian Renaissance with a kittenish twist. There are hints of sweetness but there’s a richer (sexier) fashion undercurrent at play.
3. Fausto Puglisi: Gladiator-inspired colour blocking. Hmm not sure I’m up for this fashion mishmash.
4. Phillipp Plein: Street posh with the requisite amount of irony. Case in point: fur sports jerseys.
5. Gucci: There was a certain “Little Edie” feel about this debut collection from Alessandro Michele. It was an unexpected zany and quirky departure for the house. #bravo
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.