Image courtesy of ImaxTree.com
Very few designers can capture our hearts quite like the crop of homegrown talent whose stories and inspiration mirror our own—only in bright, fresh colours (thanks, Joe!) and artistic, stylistic designs (we’re looking at you, Parris sisters). See which Canadian fashion designers hold the keys to the hearts of the ELLE Canada team, and who we’re most looking forward to seeing on
the runways of World Mastercard Fashion Week come March 18. xoxo,
ELLE Canada "Sid Neigum only won the Toronto Fashion Incubator New Labels award last year, but he’s already a fashion force. I love his edgy chic aesthetic, and I’m always impressed by the workmanship that goes into his clothes. Maybe that’s due to his respect for fashion visionaries and consummate craftspeople like Rei Kawakubo of Commes des Garcons."
– Laura deCarufel, executive editor "I’m a sucker for a good coat – I think it pulls together an entire look in a way no other item does. And, being Canadian, we have coats on a lot of the time! I love Mackage because they bring such an element of cool nonchalance to their designs. And don’t get me started about the kids’ coats. I never had anything like this to wear when I was little."
– Vanessa Craft, beauty director "These days, I have my eye on Toronto-born, NY-based designer Tanya Taylor. And I’m not the only one – both
InStyle have declared her ‘one to watch’."
– Alannah O’Neill, associate editor "I adore the stylish sisters duo at Chloé Comme Parris, Chloé and Parris Gordon for their use of hardware and laid-back luxury style."
– Ally Dean, associate editor "I just love pretty, feminine Pink Tartan. It’s rare that I can actually picture myself in catwalk looks, but when I see Kim Newport-Mimran’s designs, I find myself mentally adding many pieces to my wardrobe. (If only I could add them all in reality too!)"
– Ciara Rickard, production editor "Though with his British/Turkish heritage, Erdem Moralioglu operates out of East London today, he was born in Montreal and developed his craft at Ryerson University. Erdem makes me extra proud to be a Ryerson graduate! From dressing Duchess Catherine to winning the BFC/Vogue Designer Fashion Fund in 2010, the Erdem brand has become a fashion staple. His floral-dominated designs are both lovely and edgy, ladylike and surreal. I loved the return to dark glamour in Erdem’s Fall 2013 collection. If only he would show at Toronto Fashion Week!"
– Caley Skinner, web intern "I will have to go with Pink Tartan, for being so lady-like yet effortless and playful!"
– Elena Viltovskaia, associate art director "I’m crushing on Joe Fresh’s laser-cut metallics, a stark contrast against his iconic minimalism."
– Noah Lehava, web editor "Who can resist the innovative styles of Lucian Matis? Whether you’re looking for a princess cut, a flowing gown or something ultra sleek and sexy, Lucian Matis’ dresses are designed with the future beholder in mind. Plus, the bold accessories with intricate detailing are pieces to swoon over."
– Sarah Thompson, web intern "I have this obsession with Joeffer Caoc – and it’s not just because of the time that I interviewed him and we chatted like old friends about Buenos Aires and the importance of oversized handbags. His sleek, edgy collections – always with a punch of colour – just make me happy."
– Ava Baccari, web writer
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's bi-weekly newsletter