High-waisted or low rise, flare or straight leg, dark or faded. With so many styles to choose from, finding your perfect pair of jeans may seem impossible. Rod van Straten, merchandising manager with Levi Strauss & Co., has some helpful tips to make sure the next pair of jeans you buy spends more time hanging from your hips than from your closet hanger.
1. First, decide on colour. Just like any other piece of clothing, dark colours will make you look slimmer and project a more dressed-up look. Dark jeans look great on everyone and are perfect for dress down days at the office. Lighter coloured jeans should be saved for more casual occasions.
2. Don’t be a slave to trends. High waisted jeans may still be hot on the runways, but they might not be the right choice for you. This style will accentuate your waist and elongate your legs, but if you want to lengthen your torso and minimize your rear, a lower rise would suit you better. Today’s low rise jeans aren’t the “bare-all” styles of a few years ago so you can have comfort and a flattering look at the same time.
3. Decide what you want to accentuate. If you want to add curves to a boyish figure, choose skinny jeans to give you more shape. Curvier women need to balance out their look. A slight flare or trouser style in a dark wash looks best.
4. Pick your pockets carefully. Contrary to popular belief, not all pockets will draw attention to your behind. While small pockets will emphasize an already full derrière, larger back pockets that sit on the curviest part will make it appear smaller and shapelier. Avoid cargo styles with large pockets if you want to minimize width. Just remember: keep the pockets empty as stuffing them will add bulk where you don’t want it!
5. Finally, don’t let jean shopping stress you out. To keep things simple, take only two styles in two sizes into the dressing room at a time. With so many styles, cuts and finishes, there is a pair of jeans out there made for you.
To find your dream jeans, check out the various styles online at levi.ca or at a Levi’s Store® near you. Key styles are also available at select Bay, Sears and jeaneries.
Image courtesy of Levi’s.
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.