Nothing amps up your outfit like a sparkly accessory—and no occasion calls for that extra wow factor like the
holidays. Whether it’s an eye-catching jewel, glittering bag or high-shine heel, pump up the volume on your
party gear with these opulent extras.
1. Sparkly headpiece The simple sparkly hairpin seems a thing of the past compared to all the high-wattage head-candy we’ve been seeing the past few seasons. It all began with the brilliant baubled headbands spotted at
Nina Ricci’s fall runway – brilliant clusters of colossal gemstones worthy of Blair Waldorf – while Sonia Rykiel dressed up chignons with jeweled barrettes. And lo and behold both Louis Vuitton and Chanel’s spring collections featured luminous hair accessories that lent an ethereal princess vibe – perfect inspiration for party season. If a glittering hair accessory feels a bit too pageant for you, why not take your cues from Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge and try on a crystal-trimmed fascinator or jaunty sequin felt fedora. Queen for a day…or a party season, at least.
2. Sparkly shoes There is no better way to put a sparkle in your step this holiday season than with a glittery shoe. Whether it’s a sequin-speckled bootie à la Miu Miu or a glossy patent leather Tribute pump by YSL or a mannish lamé-covered loafer from Christian Louboutin or Jimmy Choo, these shoes will add instant wow factor to any shoe wardrobe.
3. Sparkly collar A quirky detachable collar is the coolest way to update your winter wardrobe right now and a
paillette-finished style in particular can add polish to an outfit without the bulk of a whole shirt. Take inspiration from your
favourite bloggers and front row regulars and wear yours with a simple blouse or cashmere sweater to let it really pop.
4. Sparkly rings and bracelets We have two words for you: Arm Party. Whether it’s an oversize cuff, diamante friendship wrap, jangly friendship bracelet, metal bangle or gleaming rose gold watch, this is the time to load ’em up and pile them on. And don’t forget the knuckleduster cocktail rings – one on each Chanel Peridot-polished digit will do.
5. Sparkly necklace and earrings While you’re at, why not lend your holiday looks an extra dose of drama with striking drop earrings or a statement bib necklace. While the latter bijou is still going strong (see ubiquitous choker styles), glam chandeliers have made a big comeback. Whether your lobes are pierces or not, a crystal shoulder-scraper is an equally stunning adornment.
6. Sparkly clutch
Miniature minaudières and itty-bitty box bags get festive this season with rhinestones, glitter and a heavy dose of sheen. Though they may be small in stature – just big enough for you keys, lipstick and a credit card – these jazzed-up minis pack quite a style punch. Maximalists will adore Dolce & Gabbana’s baroque pearl-and-gemstone studded style, while more minimally inclined mademoiselles should carry Alexander Wang’s sleek silver metallic clutch.
7. Sparkly belt From Versace’s enameled metal cincher to Alexander McQueen’s dazzling chain link to J.Crew’s skinny styles, a belt with a metallic or patent finish will upgrade any look in a flash. The best part? It will put the focus on the smallest part of your figure.
8. Sparkly sunglasses Brighten your cold weather outlook with sparkly cat-eye sunnies. Our favourites come courtesy of Miu Miu’s “Noir” collection featuring oversized, angular frames with metallic glitter-acetate. Both Hailee Steinfeld and Madonna have been recently snapped in a pair. Worn with a
festive LBD, they will imbue your holiday party look with a dose of Old Hollywood glamour.
Which accessory will you buy for the holiday season?
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.