Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
5 Ways To Make Your Home Look Like It Belongs In a Magazine
1. Invest in good lighting. Ditch the prefab fixtures and choose eclectic, one of- a-kind pieces from indie boutiques. Our experts’ fave shops? Châtelet in Toronto, Lambert & Fils in Montreal and Atelier de Troupe in L.A.
2. Upgrade your textiles. Change up your throw pillows, blankets, drapes and rugs. Mixing textures and patterns (think a striped linen pillow with a silky modern floral print) is an easy way to add a sophisticated style spin.
3. Have fun with accessories. Whether you set out your fave Star Wars collectible (just one, please) or style your side table with your fave pottery, “your home should reflect your personality,” says interior designer Janette Ewen.
4. Wallpaper something. “A square foot of wallpaper is cheaper than a piece of art,” says Alistair McAuley, co-founder of wall-covering company Timorous Beasties. Try a feature wall or wallpaper above your fireplace.
5. Paint the ceiling, not the walls. An indigo ceiling, for example, will reflect onto white walls and create warmth, which will make the space feel bigger, says interior designer Tiffany Pratt.
This article originally appeared in the September 2018 issue of Elle Canada.