Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
Spring beauty: The modern boho
The modern boho at Jill Stuart. Image courtesy of ImaxTree.com. Raise a hand if summer equals festivals, flowing dresses, wavy hair and barely-there makeup to you. You just might be today’s modern boho (I am!). There’s something so carefree, easy and simple about this effortless look that is quintessentially summer to me. Think Kate Hudson in
Almost Famous, Nicole Richie at Coachella and Alexa Chung at Glastonbury. But this season’s take is fresh, youthful and easy to do. With a little help from European makeup artist Sarah-Jane Froom from BareEscentuals and Toronto-based hair and makeup artist Tony Masciangelo, we recreate this summer ideal.
BOHO MAKEUP: “The Boho Chic look should be effortless,” says Froom. “Keeping it simple and making your skin flawless is the main focus. It’s about being
sun-kissed and pretty.” Opt for browns, greens, golds, slates and bronzes – anything that mimics the colours of the earth, and make sure you focus on that dewy, bronzed skin.
Froom’s step-by-step guide to a modern boho look:
1. Prep skin with a primer for an even complexion. Then buff bareMinerals SPF15 Foundation all over.
2. Buff bareMinerals READY Bronzer in The High Dive onto outside contours of the complexion and also down onto the décolleté. You can pop a little on the bridge of the nose too, where the sun would naturally kiss the skin.
3. Smooth a primer along your lids before applying earthy toned shadows. Try bareMinerals READY Eyeshadow in The Truth to the eyes – buff the palest shade (Serendipitous) under brow bone, the medium colour (Fate) from lash to crease, the dark colour (Apropos) above and below top and bottom lashes around lash line, and finally the shimmery bronze shade (Magnetism) to highlight inner corners of eyes. Follow with a deep brown liner along the lashes.
4. Add a pop of colour with bareMinerals READY Blush in The Aphrodisiac swept onto the apples of the cheeks.
5. For radiant, dewy skin, lightly buff bareMinerals Pure Radiance onto the high points of the cheekbones and over décolleté – this will give you a luminous sun-kissed glow. And top with bareMinerals Tinted Mineral Veil to hide the appearance of large pores and fine lines and to soak up excess oil to impart a beautiful finish.
6. Finish the look with a
swish of mascara and natural gloss.
BOHO HAIR: “The perfect Boho hair style is that easy Southern California babe meets rock star essence,” explains Masciangelo. “The texture is almost always textured and relaxed, like
loose waves or bends, with a lived-in and comfortable quality.”
Masciangelo’s step-by-step boho waves:
1. Carefree does not equal frizz. Tame it with Nexxus Frizz Defy Frizz Protection Shampoo and Conditioner. The argan oil and coconut extract help seal the cuticle for a smoother look.
2. Combine a foam styler and 2-3 drops of Nexxus Frizz Defy Frizz Protection Oil Shine Treatment to add texture to surface while the oil treatment repels humidity.
3. Allow to dry naturally if you already have a slight wave, or use a ¼ barrel curling iron around the ends of the hair and comb fingers through the hair to create a softer look. Pin
bangs to the side for a fresh look. Finish with a light hold hair spray. “Don’t worry about getting
tons of volume … the look is relaxed and worn in. What makes it modern today is that the texture is created using product, so it is clean and shiny.“