The modern boho at Jill Stuart. Image courtesy of ImaxTree.com. Raise a hand if summer equals festivals, flowing dresses, wavy hair and barely-there makeup to you. You just might be today’s modern boho (I am!). There’s something so carefree, easy and simple about this effortless look that is quintessentially summer to me. Think Kate Hudson in
Almost Famous, Nicole Richie at Coachella and Alexa Chung at Glastonbury. But this season’s take is fresh, youthful and easy to do. With a little help from European makeup artist Sarah-Jane Froom from BareEscentuals and Toronto-based hair and makeup artist Tony Masciangelo, we recreate this summer ideal.
BOHO MAKEUP: “The Boho Chic look should be effortless,” says Froom. “Keeping it simple and making your skin flawless is the main focus. It’s about being
sun-kissed and pretty.” Opt for browns, greens, golds, slates and bronzes – anything that mimics the colours of the earth, and make sure you focus on that dewy, bronzed skin.
Froom’s step-by-step guide to a modern boho look:
1. Prep skin with a primer for an even complexion. Then buff bareMinerals SPF15 Foundation all over.
2. Buff bareMinerals READY Bronzer in The High Dive onto outside contours of the complexion and also down onto the décolleté. You can pop a little on the bridge of the nose too, where the sun would naturally kiss the skin.
3. Smooth a primer along your lids before applying earthy toned shadows. Try bareMinerals READY Eyeshadow in The Truth to the eyes – buff the palest shade (Serendipitous) under brow bone, the medium colour (Fate) from lash to crease, the dark colour (Apropos) above and below top and bottom lashes around lash line, and finally the shimmery bronze shade (Magnetism) to highlight inner corners of eyes. Follow with a deep brown liner along the lashes.
4. Add a pop of colour with bareMinerals READY Blush in The Aphrodisiac swept onto the apples of the cheeks.
5. For radiant, dewy skin, lightly buff bareMinerals Pure Radiance onto the high points of the cheekbones and over décolleté – this will give you a luminous sun-kissed glow. And top with bareMinerals Tinted Mineral Veil to hide the appearance of large pores and fine lines and to soak up excess oil to impart a beautiful finish.
6. Finish the look with a
swish of mascara and natural gloss.
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.