Pin-up girl The ever-stylish bob goes faux for fall with subtle volume.
Expert: Brennen deMelo, hairstylist for L’Oréal Professionnel
• Apply a styling primer while your hair is wet. Blow-dry your hair and then, working in small sections, lightly backcomb it from mid-shaft down to the ends for volume.
• Pull your hair back into a loose ponytail, securing the elastic near the end.
• Flip your hair under and anchor it with bobby pins just above the nape of the neck. Pull out any shorter pieces of hair to frame your face.
• Finish with a light spritz of strong-hold hairspray.
Natural resources This fall, earth angels go glam with a sophisticated twist.
Expert: Jacquie Hutchinson, makeup artist and national product trainer for Revlon Canada • Prep the skin with primer and then apply a cream-based foundation with your fingertips. Follow with a dusting of translucent loose powder.
• Select an eyeshadow shade slightly darker than your natural eyelid colour and sweep it from the lash line to just above the crease.
• Use a brown eye pencil to line the roots of the upper lash line, and finish with a coat of brown mascara.
• Apply a peachy-brown lipstick with a lip brush, or, for a stained look, dab it on with your fingertip. For a matte effect, place a tissue on your lips and pat gently.
True romance The classic, ladylike updo gets a punk-rock twist.
Expert: Tim Rogers, hairstylist and spokesperson for Charles Worthington London
• While your hair is still damp, apply a curl-enhancing spray and then, working from front to back, create four loose braids.
• Air-dry your hair, or blow-dry it using a diffuser. Remove the braids, separating them with your fingers, and backcomb from the roots to add volume.
• Lift and roll back the front section of your hair, anchoring it with bobby pins. Twist and pin the remaining sections, and apply hairspray for hold. – Michelle Villett
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.