Canadian model Emm Arruda has had a very successful start to fashion month. Arruda has walked a number of high-profile shows in New York, including Alexander Wang, Victoria Beckham, Diane von Furstenberg and Carolina Herrera. (Last season, she walked in Maria Grazia Chiuri’s first show for Dior, as well as Chanel, Alexander McQueen—plus, she appeared in the pages of ELLE Canada.) Below, Arruda shares 13 tips for surviving fashion week, and how to have a little bit of fun while you’re at it.
1) “Grocery shop for clean foods that will provide you with good fuel and energy for your body at the beginning of the week–before the madness kicks in.”
2) “… but never say no to a good sugar rush either between shows.”
3) “Google maps is your best friend.”
4) “Always dress to be seen.”
5) “Be a tourist whenever you can be!”
6) “Never give up. It’s important to keep a positive mindset especially when there are going to be people telling you ‘no’ or ‘you cant do this.’”
7) “It’s important to have support from good friends or family by your side.”
8) “Have fun!”
9) “Get sleep every chance you get, because believe me—fashion week is super tiring. You’re on the go non-stop!”
10) “Take vitamins and drink water—always take care of yourself.”
11) “Practice makes perfect. I’m always working to better my walk.”
12) “Always carry Band-Aids around with you! I get about two new blisters every day with the amount of new (or painful) shoes you have to work in.”
13) “For my skincare, I use Rodial Bee Venom Day Cream SPF 30, micellar water makeup remover and Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser.”
Rodial Bee Venom Day Cream SPF 30 ($195), at saksfifthavenue.com.
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's bi-weekly newsletter