Holiday beauty: Get festive, get gorgeous
Channel the beauty of a red carpet worthy celeb for the holidays.
by : Helen Racanelli- Dec 7th, 2009
Whether you envy Kate Hudson’s laid-back beach-babe style, Beyoncé’s all-American sophistication, Penelope Cruz’ smouldering Euro glamour or Christina Hendricks’ bombshell beauty, you can create the signature looks of these femme fatales sans the salon. Beauty industry experts reveal how.
Beyoncé always rocks an all-American glam red-carpet look. Toronto-based makeup artist Cat Lasita describes how to get it:
For the skin, start with a primer. “I like MAC’s Prep Prime followed by a natural finish foundation or tint and a powder to set it.” Adding a bit of an iridescent loose powder to the regular powder will create an instant glow.
“For the eyes [use] lots of blending, blending and more blending! That is the key to creating a well-executed smoky eye that will last the night.” Colours such as black, grey, navy blue and charcoal browns are great, Lasita says. "Smut" eye shadow from MAC is almost like a combo of all those colours and works well on any skin tone. Black or gunmetal kohl eyeliners are beautiful for adding to the gradation of colour, which can be used on the bottom and top. To make eyeliner stay put on the eye’s water line add an eye shadow in the same colour as the kohl pencil for lasting power.
Skip the lip liner and go straight for a nude gloss with a hint of shimmer. "Beaux" from MAC is sexy and glamorous, Lasita says.
Wash hair, dry and add a smoothing and defining lotion, such as Anti-frizz Serum by Schwarzkopf Professional from its Osis line. Flat-iron hair prior to pinning it up to create Beyoncé’s famed ponytail look. The smoothing lotion will add to the sleekness of the final look. Spray lightly to hold it in place. Check out these tips to keep from damaging your locks.
Chase Aston, The Body Shop’s London-based spokesperson says you can step out with Penelope Cruz’ famed smouldering European screen-goddess look using these tricks:
• For a flawless matte complexion, take The Body Shop Oil-Free Foundation and smooth all over the face, and onto the neck using a foundation brush. Dust pressed powder all over to set.
Eyes: Take a large eye shadow brush and blend a matte beige eye shadow from the lash line all the way up to the brows. Then take The Body Shop Eye-Colour in Conker, and blend from the lash line to the crease of the eye, and underneath the lower lashes all around the eyes, recommends Aston.
To get Penelope’s signature eye liner, use a black eyeliner pencil and start from the inner corner of the eyelid, lining along the top lash line to just past the outer corner of eye, and softly smudge. Gently pull down the bottom eyelid, line the inner rim of lid. Get eye liner tips with this how-to video!
For the cheeks, using a large blusher brush and The Body Shop Cheek Colour in Heather Pink. On lips, line and fill in using The Body Shop Lip Liner in Beech, then take The Body Shop Colourglide Lip Colour in Coral Splash and using a lip brush, apply all over lips, blot lips with a tissue and re-apply colour.
Comb Aveda Phomolient Volumizing Mousse through damp hair. Blow dry upside down using a large paddle brush. When the hair is almost dry, side-part hair and clip.
Section hair into two-inch widths and, using a large barrel curling iron, curl hair up to roots. Release and clip into place. Repeat all over the head, curling hair away from the face. Spray hairspray all over, then blast with a shot of cold air to lock into place. Let cool.
Take the clips out, and using a large soft-bristled hair brush, comb through hair. At the crown of the head, back-comb a little of the hair and spray hairspray at the roots to hold the teased hair then smooth over some hair to hide the backcombed area. Work through a little hair wax to define and hold the hair and waves. Smooth hair over from the side part, tuck and pin bangs behind the ear, then bring the rest of the hair forward. Spray in place.
If you want to recreate Kate Hudson’s effortless look for the holiday season, here’s the how-to from Covergirl Makeup Pro Greg Wencel and Pantene stylist Justin Germain.
• Put on a foundation one half-shade lighter only on the areas you need it, Wencel advises. “Then detail with a concealer on dark circles and imperfections. Dust a pale shade of bronzer, like Covergirl’s Trublend Bronzer into hair line, across forehead, bridge of nose, hollows of cheek and chin, but skip above the upper lip, around your nose and under your eyes.” Use a warm shimmery peach blush and generously dust it across the apples of the cheeks and into your cheek hollow.
• For eyes, highlight under brow bone with a matte champagne highlight. Also use this matte champagne in the inner corners of your eyes. Sweep a light grey shadow like such as Covergirl’s Eye Enhancers in Platina across lid. Keep colour close to your lash line and below the crease. Make sure it’s well blended. Use a smoky grey liner and smudge it right into your lashes.
• On lips, finish your look with Wetslicks Amazemint in Freedom of Peach by Covergirl, suggests Wencel.
• To achieve an easy, loose wave, Germain says to begin by applying a peach-sized amount of Pantene Pro-V Ice Shine Mousse from root to tip to prep for volume. Blow-dry hair upside down until its lightly damp, then bring head up and twirl two-inch sections of hair while continuing to blow-dry to create natural movement. Finish off by curling random pieces throughout the hair where needed with a medium-size curling iron. To set the style, use Pantene Pro-V Ice Shine Hairspray to seal and help give a reflective shine.
Envy the luscious Old Hollywood style of Mad Men’s Christina Hendricks? DIY with makeup guidance from Revlon’s National Product Trainer, makeup artist Jacquie Hutchinson, and hair how-to with Pantene stylist Justin Germain.
• Smooth foundation on lightly to even out skintone. Set with powder, apply with a large brush. Hutchinson recommends Revlon’s ColorStay Mineral Foundation for a flawless complexion with a natural glow.
• For large eyes, choose a medium to dark eye shadow and smooth on lash line to slightly above the crease. Line eyes with liquid liner. On upper lash line apply onto roots of lashes from inner to outer corner of eyes. Touch liner softly on outer edge of lower lash line, then blend inwards with a Q-tip. She recommends three coats of Lash Fantasy Mascara in Blackest Black.
• For small eyes, choose a light eye shadow and smooth over entire eyelid, lash line to below brows. Keep eyeliner thin and use extra highlight to make eyes appear bigger and brighter.
• Coordinate lip and cheek colour. Use a cream blush, apply below cheek bones, blend up into hairline for a sculpted look. Finish with a gloss or a stained lip. A must-have for this look is Revlon’s Superlustrous Gloss, Hutchinson says.
Justin Germain says to get a retro, wavy updo, start off by applying a volumizing mousse like Pantene Pro-V Volume, applying from root to tip; blow dry damp hair upside down. When almost dry, loop hair in medium-large velcro or hot rollers. Lightly spray with hairspray to set curls. After hair is completely dry, gently pull out the rollers.
• Tackle the hair that frames the face first by taking out and separating the pieces, and style in a way that makes you feel most comfortable – be it swept to the side or pinned down, Germain says. Put the rest of the hair in a ponytail, curl sections of hair loosely around the elastic and secure with bobby pins, but don’t pin too close or securely to the ponytail because it will make it look less voluminous. Finish with a hairspray to set. Germain prefers Pantene Pro-V Volume Flexible Hairspray.
Join our mailing list for the latest and biggest in fashion trends, beauty, culture and celebrity.
Creative Disobedience: When Makeup Defies the Rules
The most explosive makeup looks were once reserved for fashion spreads and runways, but for a while now, they’ve been making their way into real life, on both the streets and social media.
by : ELISABETH MASSICOLLI- Sep 17th, 2021
The Luxe Lipstick That’s Sure to Give You a French-Style Boost
Its highly pigmented matte colour and weightless feel make Guerlain Rouge G Luxurious Velvet lipstick Ingrie Williams’ fave fall accessory.
by : ELLE Canada- Sep 16th, 2021
The 9 Anti-Aging Eye Serums That Reign Supreme Among ELLE Editors
Smooth out fine lines and wrinkles in the blink of an eye.
by : Marouchka Franjulien- Sep 9th, 2021