1. What’s your fitness motto?
Work hard, and then work harder. I think it’s really important to have the courage to never give up and push through a workout. It’s not always easy, but once you’ve crushed your workout, the feeling is irreplaceable and you really are better for it.
2. How do you motivate yourself when you’re feeling sluggish?
It’s important to remember that everyone has days like this. You’re not alone. I always try to look at the bigger picture for a better perspective of what I’m trying to accomplish and why it is that I do this every day. Setting goals really helps me. It reminds me why I need to get up, start my day and complete my workout.
3. Work out song that revs you up?
The Rain by Calvin Harris.
4. Song that helps you chill?
Clocks by Coldplay.
5. What techniques help you relax?
Meditation and hot yoga are two things I try to do as often as possible. It’s a time for me to chill out, get in the zone and clear my mind. Over the years, it’s really something that I’ve started to incorporate more frequently into my routine.
6. What’s the best training advice you’ve ever been given?
The advice that’s stayed with me the longest, and I try to remind myself of the most, is, “It’s a process, it’s a long journey and things don’t change overnight.”
7. What do you eat first thing in the morning?
I try to keep my meals fresh so I often mix it up. For breakfast, one of my favourite meals is an egg white omelette with spinach, mushrooms and onions. Omelettes are easy to make, especially when you’re pressed for time.
8. What do you eat before a workout?
I’m constantly changing up my meals, but my two go-to options are a gluten free wrap and a brown rice bowl.
9. What do you eat after a workout?
After a workout it’s important that I’m refueling and giving my body what it needs. I usually have powdered protein as well as brown rice, chicken and greens.
10. What you wash your face with post-workout?
Right now, my go-to face wash is by Philosophy.
11. How many glasses of water do you drink a day?
I drink three litres a day. This is something that I’m really conscious of throughout the day, as hydrating my body plays a huge role in my training.
12. How do you style your hair during a workout?
I switch between a teased ponytail and a side braid. Both are really quick and simple to do, yet highlight my style during my workouts.
13. What’s your favourite thing to do during your downtime?
When I have downtime you can usually find me doing hot yoga. It’s one of the things that helps relax me, and just puts me in a different mindset.
14. What’s your biggest food indulgence?
I’d have to say pizza.
15. What exercises do you use to train your legs?
There are definitely a lot of leg exercises built into our training program, but squats are an excellent way to tone your legs.
16. What exercises do you use to train your glutes?
If you really want to put the focus on glutes, try incorporating band exercises into your workout regime.
17. What’s your ratio of cardio vs. strength training?
It really depends on where I’m at in my training program, but I’d say a typical ratio is 2:1 for cardio. Cardio is a huge factor for on-field performance, so it’s a constant focus throughout the year.
18. What are you top glute moves?
1. Stand with your legs shoulder width apart
2. Bend straight down, keeping your knees aligned with your feet
3. Extend your legs back to the starting position and repeat
This really depends on what exercises you’re incorporating the band exercises into. For example, if you’re doing a glute bridge:
1. Tie a band around your legs (right above your knees)
2. Lie on your back with your feet on the floor and bend your knees to a 90 degree angle
3. Rise up with your hips until your shoulders, hips and knees align
19. What are the biggest challenges with training these muscles?
A lot of people overcompensate when doing these movements, and are often not engaging the proper muscle. It’s really important to slow things down and focus on your form.
For the latest in fashion, beauty and culture, sign up to receive ELLE's daily newsletter.