Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
Summer hairstyles: Chic buns and twists
One of our favourite things about summer are the super relaxed, casual and seemingly
effortless hairstyles. It’s a chance to be care-free and let your natural texture shine through (no use fighting it with all that humidity!), and let’s be honest – a little frizz in the summer isn’t always a bad thing. This season the runways were filled with perfect summer updos – from buns, to ponytails, knots and chic twists, this summer is all about pulling your hair back in playful, pinned up looks. We enlisted the help of Marilyn Rose, an International Artist for
Redken, for step-by-step instructions on mastering the season’s best updos.
The sleek bun
The sleek and stylish buns seen at Chloe set our hearts aflutter. We adore the sophisticated look that also reminds us of the ballerina craze
Black Swan stirred up this year. Simple enough for the office and elegant enough for a night out, this is easily one of our favourite looks for
" This look works best with medium to thick hair types and
medium length. I love this look because it’s very modern and can be taken from the office to a night out," says Marilyn.
1. Apply a finishing wax such as Redken Wax Blast 10 to dry hair in order to add texture and hold.
2. Create a deep side part and pull into a ponytail midway between the nape and crown and secure with an elastic.
3. Apply a smoothing serum throughout the ponytail, then twist hair into a bun and secure with bobby pins.
5. Set with a finishing spray.
Try out a softer updo with tips on the next page …
The soft and natural updo
This look from
Dolce & Gabbana looks so effortlessly chic, and it really doesn’t take much time at all to recreate. Think of it for breezy weekend days, casual outdoor patio drinks, or even for a soft updo for a wedding.
"This look works well with all
hair types. I love this trend because it is soft and effortless.," says Marilyn.
1. Lightly back comb the front top area of the hair for added volume. Pull back and secure with a bobby pin.
2. Gather the rest of the hair and pull it back into a medium to high ponytail.
3. Apply a heat‐active texturizer, such as Redken Fabricate 03, to the ponytail and curl random pieces with a large curling iron.
4. Back comb the ponytail really well with fingers, then smooth out the ponytail with hands.
5. Begin to twist or roll up sections into a few ball shapes pining into place .
6. Finish with Redken’s new Fashion Work 12 to build texture and volume.
Check out more pictures of this look in our gallery.
Love the Louis Vuitton twist? We have the tips on the next page …
At the Louis Vuiton show eyes were as much on the twisted
hairstyles as they were on the clothes. The look is bold and strong, so it might not be best for the office, but for a glam night out or a soiree, it’s ideal.
How to create the look:
"This works best with medium to long hair. You can make this an easy look for every day by replacing the twist with a braid. I love this trend because it is playful and modern‐chic," suggests Marilyn.
1. Apply a super‐strong sculpting gel on wet hair and blow dry smooth with a deep left side part.
2. Starting on the left above the ear, take a 1 1⁄2 inch section of hair around the hair line and begin to twist in towards the head. Continue this all around the head, keeping the twisted section tight against the head until you reach just behind the ear on the right side.
4. Braid the two sections together, twist into a bun and secure with bobby pins two inches behind the ear.
5. Finish with Redken’s Forceful 23, a super‐strength finishing spray.
Looking for a messy side bun? Jump to the next page!
The un-done knot
Proenza Schouler made us swoon over this hairstyle. Why? Because it just says summer — messy, un-done and care-free.
"This look works best with medium to
long layered hair. You can make this an easy look for everyday by adding some curls to the hair around the face. I love this trend because it is sexy with a laid‐back feel.," says Mariyln.
1. Apply Redken Wool Shake 08, a gel slush texturizer, to damp or dry hair and scrunch with hands while using a hair dryer.
hair into a twist at the nape, securing it with an elastic and some bobby pins. Make sure to leave some long layers free around the face, sides and back . The more flyaways you have, the more effortless it looks.
3. Finish with Redken Pure Force 16. This non‐aerosol fixing spray provides added shine and hold.
Ponytail a la Bridget Bardot
Super sexy, this look seen at Celine, brought us back to the days of sex-pot Bridget Bardot. It takes the regular ponytail to a new level of playfulness.
"This look works best with straight medium thick hair. I love this look because it channels that 70s vibe," explains Mariyln.
1. Start with un-washed, dry hair and apply a wax for added texture.
2. Create some volume at the crown area with a teasing brush. Holding a fine section of hair straight up, begin teasing mid-way up the section while placing the brush behind to create volume.
3. Tightly gather hair low at the nape and secure with an elastic, while leaving volume at the crown. Rake fingers over the crown to create more texture.
Test the latest celebrity hair and makeup trends with our Virtual Makeover Tool!