Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
Anne Hathaway’s half bun reigns at TIFF
The red carpet hair game can fall into two predictable slots: bouncy waves and precious updos. Pretty in theory; snoozy to view. Which is why Anne Hathaway’s half bun at the premiere for Colossal at the Toronto International Film Festival feels very fresh. It’s carefree but not careless; she’s put some thought into the concept but also—how else would you suggest she style her hair with this romantic Rodarte dress? To get the look, Hathaway used products from Toronto-based brand Flow Haircare. “The design of Anne’s Rodarte botanical dress was so amazing that we went for a look of ‘undone romance’ – soft, shiny and natural-looking yet very now,” says hairstylist Anh Co Tran, who executed the look. “Though the style was deconstructed, every strand had to look vibrant, lustrous and weightless for the look to work. To accent the modern romantic theme, I added a small top knot for a whimsical touch.”
Make like Co Tran (who BTW works with hair colour genius Johnny Ramirez) and create a knot like this:
- Prep hair with flow zeroFRICTION Detangling Treatment while hair is still wet. Shield strands from heat damage by following with a sprtiz of flow radiantARMOR Heat Protect Spray
- Apply a chickpea sized amount of flow Boundless Body Plumping Lotion to hair’s roots, then layer with another chickpea sized amount of flow Touchable Texture Design Cream from mid-shaft to the ends of your hair. Rough dry your hair until it feels like it’s about 80 percent dry.
- Smooth hair with a blow dryer and create subtle waves with a 1″ curling iron. Use the smallest amount of the flow Touchable Texture Design Cream again to break up curls (perfect curls are a beauty crime!)
- Twist hair from the crown into a topknot and secure with bobby pins. Don’t get too precious about this—it shouldn’t look parfait.
- Finish with hairspray
- Hit the red carpet with Ryan Gosling