Work is underway on the site and may cause inaccessibility to some content, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We do our utmost to ensure that all items are available again as soon as possible. If problems occur, please contact our customer service.
Fall beauty: Fall makeup tips
This fall the choices in beauty and makeup are just as plentiful as the fashion styles that hit the runway! ELLE chatted with Annesley Broadhead, National Makeup artist for
CARGO cosmetics for her expert tips on achieving the smoldering fall beauty looks.
The smoky eye
The smoky eye has long been a hot makeup look, and this fall on the runways was no exception. The combination of three eyeshadow shades is perfect for creating the sexy eye. This year the smoky eye gets an update with sheerer shades, deep purples and sultry sophistication. Pair it up with the new matte skin (see instructions on the next page), neutral blush and a sheer gloss or lipstick will keep you looking modern.
Annesley’s steps for a smoky eye:
• Begin by priming the lids with a concealer.
• Next smudge the deepest eye shadow shade under the lower lash line, extending the color just past the outer corners. This will give you a perfect guideline for placing the upper, outer corner color.
• Now using the same shade define the outer corner of the eyes, blending in towards the centre of the eyelid and up towards the crease.
• Add a medium to the crease to create definition and to soften the line between the lid color and the crease.
• Give lift and highlight under the brow and on the inner corners with the lightest eye shadow shade.
EyeLighter™ from CARGO is perfect for highlighting the eyes since it comes in a handy pen format that is easy to toss in your purse.
• Use a cream based eyeliner in black, grey or deep chocolate brown, depending on the colour scheme you have chosen.
• Line the upper lash line and then set and smudge with a matching powder shadow.
SmokyEye™ Eye Liner Duo offers a cream and powder liner in one compact so is ideal for achieving this smoky smudgy effect.
• The smoky eye look is never complete without at least two coats of black Mascara
Images courtesy of ImaxTree.com
Do you have a beauty question? Ask our expert, Miss Blush!
The bold lip
Nothing says fall makeup more than a deep, bold lip colour after months of glossy nudes. Be sure to make your lips the focal point and opt for semi-matte skin, neutral blush and subdude eyes.
Annesley’s steps for a bold lip:
• Red lips look best with neutral tones on the eyes especially in shades of cream, taupe and chocolate. For an added special touch, try shades of gold or bronze that nicely complement a dramatic red lip.
• If you are wearing a red lipstick that is more on the burgundy or blue red side try a soft smoky eye in shades of pewter or grey. The CARGO
SmokyEye™ Eye Liner Duo in Budapest is perfect.
• When choosing a red lipstick there are several options. Deep red in a matte finish is long lasting and very sophisticated. A sheer red such as CARGO’s
PlantLove™ Lipstick in Maria is sheer and fresh and perfect for a softer look.
• If you do opt for a cream or sheer red you can make it last longer by applying a little bit of powder to your lips. Lip liner will also help your colour last longer and look more polished. CARGO’s
Reverse Lip Liner is also great for perfecting a red lip. It is a highlighting pencil with a waxy texture that is applied to the outer lip line to make the lips appear fuller while preventing feathering of lipstick.
Say adios to the dewy looks of spring and summer. This season it’s all about a matte finish on your skin to look porcelain without a hint of shine. It’s a classic and timeless look that pairs beautifully with this season’s smoky eyes and bold lips.
Annesley’s steps for matte skin:
• The new matte look is very different from the matte complexion of the mid-nineties. It is fresher with a softer coverage and is not dry and cakey looking.
• I recommend using a dual finish, powder finish foundation because it is quick and easy and perfect for touching up during the day, such as CARGO
Wet/Dry Foundation. It is a powder finish foundation with coverage and setting powder in one and it gives a perfectly flawless, sheer matte coverage while still looking natural.
• Begin by applying a concealer to areas of the face that require a little extra coverage (such as CARGO
OneBase™). It’s a concealer and foundation in one, so is very multi-functional.
• Next using a large fluffy brush apply the powder finish foundation over the entire face. Use a circular buffing motion for best results.
• As a final touch opt for a blush in either a matte or satin finish. The matte finish will give that classic matte face while a satin finish with just give a hint of glow.
• Maintain your matte complexion by blotting the excess oil with a blotting tissue and follow-up with the powder finish foundation. By blotting first you avoid a heavy cakey build-up.
Images courtesy of ImaxTree.com
Learn how to get beautiful skin now.
Subscribe to ELLE Canada — 12 issues for only $15! You will save 70% off the cover price!
A healthy glow is in all year long, but in the fall with crisp weather, it’s a must. Flushed cheeks should look natural (like you have been strolling the street on a chilly morning) and not red.
Annesley’s steps for rosy cheeks:
• To get that natural looking rosy glow on your cheeks choose shades of blush with a warm rose tone, sheer cherry or a pretty petal pink.
• Achieving rosy cheeks is also in the application. Using a large fluffy blush brush apply and a circular application stroke, apply the blush to the apples and upper apples of the cheeks.
• Applying a bit of soft pink blush on the upper apples of the cheeks, about a centimeter past the outer corner of the eye will actually give your face an instant lift.
• Avoid apply your blush too close to the nose since this can make your skin looked flushed instead of rosy.
• If you have a tendency towards acne prone skin choose a blush with a more neutral or peachy tone since the pink in the blush can highlight the redness.
Retro eye makeup
The fall runways weren’t only filled with bold lips — there were also some pretty bold and bright eye makeup choices as well. Annesley fills us in on how to get the more modern look of bold cloured eyes without taking a trip back to the 80s.
Annsley’s steps for bold, bright eye makeup:
• Keeps cheeks soft and shimmering for a sunny glow.
• Sheer glossy lips work best to balance vibrant.
• My favorite eye shadow shades when choosing bright eye make-up are shimmering jewel tones such as aquamarine, golden green, emerald and amethyst. Try the CARGO
Eye Shadow Palette in Egypt, which contains a fun selection of jewel tones. They punchy, fun and wearable on a variety of complexions and eye colours.
• I also usually use shadows with a bit of a shimmer because they appear less chalky on the skin.
• When using jewel tones use them as a wash of colour over the lids and blended into the outer corners of the eyes. Apply a little just under the lower lash line for added drama.
• Use a black eye pencil to ad depth and definition close to the lash line and smudge it out for a smoky effect.
• Top off with black mascara.
Images courtesy of ImaxTree.com