Left to right: Creatures of the Wind, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Jonathan Simkhai, Kaelen, Kanye West x Adidas Originals. Runway: Imaxtree.com. Kim Kardashian: Instagram.com/kimkarashian.
Here at the ELLE Canada HQ, all eyes are glued on New York Fashion Week Fall 2015. We ranked the five most memorable looks seen at Day 1 from "wow" to "what were they thinking?"
Noreen Flanagan, editor-in-chief:
1. BCBGMAXAZRIA: I love the blend of laidback '70s boho paired with a '60s pop-chic vibe. It’s the fashion lovechild of Joni Mitchell and Twiggy.
2. Kaelen: With a muse like Audrey Horne from Twin Peaks, this look captures a lady-lady vibe but also telegraphs a sexy dark side.
3. Creatures of the Wind: This is a fresh twist on uniform dressing. In this case, it’s a '20s-inspired nurse's cape tarted up with a posh mink sash for a quirky four-star fashion moment.
4. Jonathan Simkhai: Hmm. There were some covetable pieces in his collection. This wasn’t one of them. I’m not a fan of saggy cobweb-like leggings paired with action-figure inspired cutouts.
5. Kanye West x Adidas Originals: The show highlight was its Yeezy boots, but as for the rest of the collection? I’d say you could swap the Y for a Ch.
Lisa Guimond, fashion features editor:
1. Kanye West x Adidas Originals: A for Attitude goes to Kanye. Say what you want, but this collection reads as an artistic dreamscape – it’s gallery fodder. Plus, I’ve been advocating tights as pants for years. Kanye, call me.
2. BCBGMAXAZRIA: Thigh high boots. Check. Colour blocking. Check. Shearling. Check. What more could a girl want this Fall?
3. Jonathan Simkhai: Hats off to Simkhai for this architectural look. The sharp lines and curves create a beautiful asymmetrical symmetry.
4. Kaelen: There’s something a little matronly about the heavy fabrics and embroidery that I can’t stand behind.
5. Creatures of the Wind: This is military gone wrong. Enough said.
Sarah Thompson, content producer:
1. Jonathan Simkhai: Did someone say sexy? This black lace creation is everything I need in my wardrobe, especially on date night.
2. Kaelen: Florals for Fall 2015? Totally revolutionary. I love the blue/gold colour combo and textured topper.
3. BCBGMAXAZRIA: Colour blocking, cozy fur, intricate beading and leather boots all in one ready-to-wear look? I'll take two, please.
4. Creatures of the Wind: I'm in love with this minimalist camel coat, but the star-studded sash is a little too OTT for Fall 2015.
5. Kanye West x Adidas Originals: Leggings/tights/leotards are not pants – need I say more?