Image courtesy of Getty.
What would 2013 have been without
Kanye West and his thoughts on fashion
, God, Kim Kardashian and well, everything else? We round up some of his gems and try and decipher the hidden meaning. Here’s to a 2014 filled with more Kanye-isms.
“I brought 10 years of product that has added to humanity. And now, where's the culture at?! So then, I scream, and I'm sitting in the middle of it. Whether I'm at a dinner with Anna Wintour, or I'm at a listening session with Pusha, or me and Virgil are in Rome giving designs to
over and over and getting our designs knocked down. We brought the leather jogging pants six years ago to Fendi, and they said, 'No.' How many m************ you done seen with a jogging pant?”
- As told to BBC’s Zane Lowe
Actually, I don’t see that many leather jogging pants around, to be honest. Maybe I’m not up on my jogging pant culture though. Must investigate more in 2014.
“He was once a friend of mine, in the time of
, and I used to wear his tight-a** jeans when I was on tour and get called names for it. And Hedi Slimane was a god who didn’t serve no bulls***. But it takes a god to recognize another god. So when he told me you can come to my show, but you can’t come to see Phoebe and you can’t come to see Riccardo, that was odd. He tried to control me! He tried to tell me where I could go!”
- Kanye’s mid-concert speech Madison Square Garden
* No one likes someone telling you you can’t go somewhere. But, hey, Kanye, no one really likes a whiner either. Sorry.
3. “The [biggest corporation's] amount of money can only equal the amount of relevancy that me and Kim have,” he said. “I might not be a billionaire, but I’m a trillionaire in relevancy.”
- An interview with Atlanta Radio Station V-103
* Kanye does have loads of relevancy. His voice is incredibly loud in the celebrity arena (and if you didn’t hear him the first time, he’ll likely yell at you).
4. "I was made for this moment. What happened was while I was out in Paris I wanted to meet with the head of Louis Vuitton, he said 'I don't understand why we need to meet with you. I said, 'let me explain to you why you need to meet with me.' "Everybody in New York City right now don't buy any Louis Vuitton until after January. 'Now do you want to meet with me? Now do you want to meet with me? Influence. They think that I don't realize my power."
- An interview with 92.3 NOW
* Watch out everyone in the fashion world. Kanye holds the power, apparently.
"My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live."
- On VH1’s “Storytellers”
Umm, yeah. Not going to touch that one.
"You know, ‘What is she talented at?’ She’s talented at being beautiful," West said when talking about his
fiancee, Kim Kardashian
- An interview with Power 106 in Los Angeles
Ok, Kanye, I will give you this.
Kim is a natural beauty
. No question. Beneath her layers and layers of makeup and false lashes, she is beautiful. And her curves are hot. But being a beauty is not a talent.
“I felt like our love story is like,
a love story for the ages
. I felt like when we first got together, it was like a Romeo and Juliet kind of thing, where it’s like … she’s a reality star, and I’m a rapper.”
- An interview with Hot 97
Aww, how sweet. I’m sure Shakespeare would love to hear this version of his epic love story.
“It’s only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It’s only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness. Beauty, truth, awesomeness. That’s all it is."
- An interview with the New York Times in June
Positive thinking, Kanye. Positive thinking.
"When someone comes up and says something like, ‘I am a god,’ everybody says ‘Who does he think he is?’ I just told you who I thought I was. A god. I just told you. That’s who I think I am."
- As told to BBC's Zane Lowe
Not going to touch that one either. But if I could put up an uncomfortable emoticon here, I would.
And one last gem for us to remember as we go into 2014 ...
“For me to say I wasn’t a genius, I would just be lying to you and to myself.”
- On Jimmy Kimmel Live
Musically, I’d say Kanye is pretty close to being a genius. The dude is beyond talented. But being humble is also an attractive trait. Give it try in 2014. It might work to your benefit. Just sayin’.
An open letter to Kim Kardashian
The Kardashian Christmas card is here!
10 bold statement rings