I wish you an incredibly fun New Year’s Eve tonight and a wonderfully relaxing New Year’s Day tomorrow! I’ll be spending January 1 with my husband, pots of tea and piles of movies (also, possibly piles of Advil). I’ve put together my dream screening list and asked some members of the ELLE Canada team to share their favourite stylish movies. Happy New Year!
My suggested screening list:
1. In Vogue: The Editor’s Eye. A fascinating glimpse at the world of Vogue through its fashion editors, including Polly Mellen, Camilla Nickerson and Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele, who gets my vote for person I’d least like to be stuck with in an elevator.
2. Breakfast at Tiffany’s. The opening scene—where Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) ambles down Fifth Avenue at dawn—is so incredibly beautiful.
3. Girls. I rewatched season 1 over the holidays, and episode 3—starring Booth Jonathan, HPV and Robyn’s “Dancing on my Own”—inspired me to text “masterpiece yo” to my sister. Season 2 premieres January 13 on HBO Canada. Watch for our recaps.
4. Rear Window. Grace Kelly is astonishingly beautiful in this classic Hitchcock film, embodying ladylike elegance with nipped in waists and full skirts. Supporting star: the Hermès Birkin.
5. Clueless. The most quotable movie of the ’90s. “That was way harsh, Tai.” Amazing.
More New Year’s Day movie suggestions from the ELLE Canada team:
“A Single Man.”
—Ciara Rickard, production editor
“A Single Man. Kill Bill. Dolls by Takeshi Kitano. How to Steal a Million.”
—Elena Viltovskaia, associate art director
“Empire Records (Happy Rex Manning Day!) and Now & Then.”
—Alannah O’Neill, associate editor
“Roman Holiday. I used to imagine everyone in Italy to be like Audrey Hepburn—effortlessly riding around on Vespas with their perfectly tied silk scarves blowing in the wind. Then I went to Rome and saw that this is actually 100 per cent true. Not fair.”
—Ava Baccari, web writer
OVER TO YOU!
What’s on your fashionable movie list?