Getty Images Image by: Getty Images
1. As a body scrub. Mix up one part coconut oil and two parts coarse brown sugar and scrub all over your body for a thorough exfoliation revealing naturally glowing skin.
2. As a gentle makeup remover. One less beauty product to worry about, coconut oil as a makeup remover is safe to use all over the face. Warm a spoonful of coconut oil in your hands and apply to face and eyes. Gently wipe away with a damp cloth.
READ MORE: How to stop bullying your skin
3. To maintain oral hygiene. Lately, everyone has oil pulling on their minds: this practice consists of swilling a teaspoon of oil around your mouth and pushing through your teeth to reduce plaque buildup, soothe sensitive teeth and gums and help maintain fresh breath. Aim for 10 minutes of swishing and then gradually build up to 20. Once you reach your limit, spit out the oil into the sink and rinse your mouth thoroughly.
GALLERY: 10 celebrities with near-perfect skin
More ways to add coconut oil to your all-natural skin care on the next page...
4. As a body moisturizer. Straight out of the jar, massage coconut oil all over the skin. It’s best to apply directly after a shower so that pores are open and oil is fully absorbed. The coconut oil will keep skin well hydrated and beachy scented.
5. To relieve a dry scalp. Coconut oil can help hair retain moisture and become stronger. For an all-natural conditioning hair mask, rub coconut oil into the scalp and let sit for five minutes. Then wash hair as normal, and repeat regularly to help repair and prevent hair damage.
6. To help with digestion. Regular consumption of coconut oil may help to balance out chronic digestive issues (like candida). And the fatty acids can also help the body to absorb other nutrients as well. Add a spoonful into your morning smoothie.
READ MORE: Bad habits that are breaking you out
7. As a shaving oil. Slather coconut oil onto the skin and shave using a regular razor. No need to apply moisturizer afterward—the coconut oil leaves a clean and smooth finish on the skin.
8. Whip up a DIY body butter. Combine coconut oil with a few drops of your favourite essential oil (think lemon or lavender) and whisk until it has a frothy, air-light texture. Store in a sealed container.
9. To condition hair. Heat up a couple teaspoons coconut oil in the microwave so that it’s pliable like a paste, then apply to hair and leave in for 20 minutes. Rinse, then follow up with your favourite shampoo and conditioner. Try Marc Anthony Hydrating Coconut Oil & Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner to maintain tropical-scented locks.
READ MORE: 5 signs your skin is drier than you think
More ways to add coconut oil to skin care and diet on the next page...
10. As a natural sweetener. Spoon a dollop of coconut oil into your favourite herbal tea to add a good source of healthy fat and boost of energy—not to mention a sweet and nutty flavour.
11. As a cooking oil. Unlike most vegetable or soy/corn oils, the saturated fats in coconut oil make it very stable, so it won’t go rancid when heated to a high temperature. Use to stir fry vegetables, in baking, or add in to your morning oatmeal.
READ MORE: How to freshen up your beauty look
12. As an all-natural deodorant. Coconut oil is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and carries its own dreamy tropical scent—the perfect combination for a deodorant. Simply rub a tiny bit under your arms as you would your regular deodorant, and go. Or you can look for homemade coconut oil deodorant recipes, usually consisting of a baking soda, cornstarch and arrowroot powder concoction.
13. As a (delicious) lip moisturizer. Rub onto lips as an all-natural lip balm. And because coconut oil is rich in antioxidant properties, it helps protect the delicate skin on your lips from free radical damage caused by the sun.
MUST-READ: Are you guilty of these skin care sins?
14. To help treat eczema naturally. Organic virgin coconut oil has been said to relieve the itchy and flakey skin associated with eczema. Apply to affected areas three to four times daily (and before heading to bed) to treat symptoms.
15. As your travel beauty must-have. Think about all the beauty and skin care products that a jar of coconut oil can replace when travelling—makeup removal, moisturizer, toothpaste (or oil pulling) hair conditioner, after-care and sunburns, and to treat cuts and scrapes. You can see why we love it.
How to stop bullying your skin
Makeup tips: How to contour
The best tips for sensitive skin