Think beyond beach waves, our expert hair style tips will have you taking your wavy hair from the office to the beach to a night on the town.
When it comes to hair styles we all want what we don’t have. Straight-haired girls envy thick curls, curly-haired ladies lust after smooth sleek hair. But one thing we can all say we want now and then is something perfectly in the middle – wavy hair. Creating the ideal wave can be a tad tricky, beach waves, messy waves, classic waves, retro waves … the choices are endless but with the help of Dove Hair Care celebrity stylist Mark Townsend (who styles hair for new It girl Jennifer Lawrence) gives us the details on creating the perfect waves in three different ways.
Wavy hair #1: Retro flapper girl
The '20s and '30s are having a moment. Let’s just let it happen because that era sported some of the prettiest hair around. “I love giving my clients retro inspired waves because I use hot rollers to get this look. This works well on all hair types,” says Townsend.
The texture: Smooth and shiny
When to wear: “If you’re searching for a simple way to add a little glamour to your day-to-day look try retro waves. This timeless, sophisticated hairstyle ads a pulled-together look that is chic and easy to do.”
Townsend’s tips to get the wave:
· Start by applying a dime size amount of serum damp hair to ensure the hair cuticle will lay smooth.
· Add a large dollop of mousse (try Dove Style Care Nourishing Curls Mousse) to damp hair and blow dry with a round brush.
· Spray a thermal protectant spray all over and then set the hair on hot rollers. They key for retro looking waves is to set all the hair in the same direction and to hold the hot roller near the scalp and to wrap the hair around the roller from root to ends.
· After the hair has cooled in the rollers for 15minutes, remove the rollers and brush the hair with a flat brush.
· Take a small amount of serum (try Dove Style Care Frizz Proof Cream-Serum) in your hands and rub your hands together to warm up the product and make it pliable, then rake your fingers through the hair to break up the waves and give the hair gorgeous shine.
· Finish with an extra hold hair spray.
Test out sophisticated beach-inspired wavy hair on the next page ...