Time to toss your heavy foundations, intense lipsticks and matte powders! It's nearly springtime and that means you can go light handed on the makeup, so switch up your daily routine for a fresh new look. ELLE Canada asked Evgeny Loukianenkov, Giorgio Armani's national face designer for Canada, for some tips on how to apply makeup for spring.
• Choose light-textured foundation with SPF for your face and sheer, bright colours for your eyes and lips. Go for a velvety nude finish and dewy-looking skin for daytime.
• Warm colours, such as peaches and soft pinks, work better with tanned skin. Try a bold lipstick or lipgloss in a sheer texture to keep your look fresh. You can always kick it up a notch by accenting your eyes in aqua or pastel colours, such as green, blue, purple and yellow -- just be sure to apply and blend them properly.
• Skip heavy makeup; instead, it should be light and fluid in texture and accented with soft colours that look intense and bold when layered. Try a tinted moisturizer with SPF, and use loose powder to set makeup and make your skin look fresh.
• If you're headed to the beach, pack sunscreen, waterproof mascara and a bold, brightly coloured lipgloss.
• For the office, use a primer, light foundation or tinted moisturizer with SPF. Wear a neutral lipstick or lipgloss and complement the look with intense mascara. Always keep blotting paper handy to minimize the shiny-face effect.
• For weekend getaways, pack a sheer foundation or concealer with SPF. (A creamy blush can also be used on your lips.) This is the perfect combination for a fresh, dewy look.
• If you're using a self-tanner, exfoliate and cleanse your skin before applying. Test a small amount on the inside of your arm to see how the colour will develop -- this will give you an idea of how much product you'll need. Ensure that your face and all exposed skin are the same tone and intensity. Instead of self-tanner, try a bronzing powder because it gives immediate results.