Leda & St. Jacques Credits: Leda & St. Jacques
• If that pimple on your chin is casting a shadow, a Q-tip soaked in nail polish remover that contains acetone will flatten it, says Kristofer Buckle, a New York celebrity makeup artist. To reduce a blemish's redness, add a drop of Visine, says Paul Venoit, a makeup pro with CoverGirl. Use it in conjunction with a concealer that has a slight green undertone.
• Triple Efx from Joico is a new 3-in-1 shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Squeeze it on a shower puff and add exfoliation to your list of achievements!
• The Multiple by NARS is a cream stick that sculpts and highlights. Dab it below the arch of the eyebrows, on the upper lip and on the top of the cheekbones to perk up your features, says David Goveia, a Toronto makeup artist.
• The 60-Second Fix from Crabtree & Evelyn is a 3-in-1 treatment that cleans, exfoliates and conditions hands with a mix of sea salt, macadamia-nut oil and shea butter.
• Swap your concealer and foundation for self-tanner. "Imperfections are usually dark, so if you use a self-tanner all over your face, under-eye circles will be less obvious," says Goveia.
• "Wake up tired eyes with a sweep of concealer below the eyes and above the eyebrows," says Joe Costa, North American makeup artist for Yves Saint Laurent.
• "If your eyes are puffy in the morning, sleep on two pillows instead of one," says Dr. Lisa Kellett of Toronto's DLK On Avenue. "It decreases the swelling."
• "To create bigger, brighter eyes, curl those lashes!" says Goveia.
• When your purse is the size of a credit card, "Roll a few Q-tips in your favourite powder, eyeshadow and lipstick and wrap them in foil," says New York-based makeup artist Mally Roncal. "That way, you're armed when it's time for a touch-up."
• "The virgin brow -- only slightly cleaned up -- is hot this holiday season," says Goveia. "Daria [Werbowy] plucks, but you can't tell."
• Treat the delicate skin around the eyes with an >after-tweeze soothing cream.
• Fill in overplucked brows with a brush-and-powder brow kit or a taupe pencil. Avoid dark-brown pencils with red-based pigments, says Costa. "Opt for a neutral pencil and sketch the colour in backwards, creating a shadow effect instead of an unnatural, drawn-in line."
Find out how to get perfect lips and hair for the holidays...
• "For smooth lips, a diamond-peel treatment takes only 20 minutes, and there's no downtime, peeling or redness," says Kellett. Otherwise, run your toothbrush under warm water and, using a circular motion, gently slough off excess skin, says Grace Lee, a M.A.C Pro Team senior artist. "Add Vaseline to the bristles for extra conditioning."
• "Face it, girls: the only women wearing lipstick are 35 and up!" says Goveia. "All lips could do with some shine and tint, but they don't need a complete colour change. Choose a pearly or pink gloss or a lip stain."
• "To create the illusion of a fuller mouth, avoid browns and darker shades," says Venoit. "Mix your shades, applying a lighter lipstick on the inner part of the top and bottom lips."
• Big hair is in, but stiff hair is a beauty crime! Soften the look of too much spray by gently brushing your hair and styling it with a hand moisturizer. Rub the excess into your hands.
• Unless you book early, it's almost impossible to get a colouring appointment during the holiday rush. You can either revive the '60s head scarf or try The Mixer, the first permanent, no-mix root touch-up designed for dedicated salon-goers. The streamlined applicator covers roots along the centre part, the crown and the sides of the face. Available in six shades.
• If your highlights are looking a little brassy but your colourist isn't calling you back, Greg May of GregMay Hair Architects recommends toning the brassiness down with a good colour-depositing shampoo. "And when you're styling, don't flatiron or straighten your hair because the reflection of the light will only increase the brassiness."
Glam up your holiday look
Holiday hair and makeup tips
Our editors' pick for the most coveted holiday products
Test the latest celebrity hair and makeup trends with our Virtual Makeover Tool!